- Entrance and Souvenir Shop
- Antique Car Display
- 1904 Spicer SchoolThis one room school house was built in 1904, one half mile north of Hickory Corners, which is about 13 miles southeast of the museum. Many of the first students were members of the Spicer family and so the school got it's name. It is furnished with many of the original desks, chalk boards, books and even the original Union Jack flag. The smaller children sat in the smaller desks at the front of the classroom, and the larger students at the back. One teacher could have 8 different grades to teach.
The school was the first large building to be moved to the museum in 1971.
- 1907 Tilney United ChurchBuilt in 1907, the church was moved to the museum in 1972 from the small village of Tilney a few miles away. The door near the entrance led to a basement where Sunday School classes met while the adults attended church upstair. The highest pews are from the original church. The smaller pews, the cross, the communion glasses and the pump organ on the left are from Baildon United Church. The organ is fully operational and is played every year at church services during the Threshing Bee. The pews with kneeling benches at the front are from St. Michael's and All Angels Anglican Church in Moose Jaw. Also from St. Michael's are the light fixtures and the ornate pump organ on the right. Unfortunately, this organ is not working because mice have chewed through the leather bellows.
There is a second organ that is from Baildon United Church. Made by Eastey Organ Co. of Beattleboro, Vermont, USA.
- Leonard Fysh Drug Store
- General Store
Baildon Red & White StoreThis building was originally built as a community hall in the early 50's in Baildon, Saskatchewan. After several years it was moved to the rink area and used as a "rink house". After, the building was unused until we got it. The grey counter is the oldest one, the turquoise counter is more recent. Both counters were used in the orginal Baildon Red and White store. The curved display case was once used in the Maple Leaf Bakery in Moose Jaw. Customers and clerks could warm themselves by the potbelly stove. The object that looks like a large football is a hog oiler. The farmer would fill it with used crank-case oil so the pigs could rub up against it getting oil all over their skin. The oil kept flies and sun from injuring their sensitive skin.
- 1905 Mortlach Hall (Doctor's Office, Masonic Lodge, General Displays)This 1905 building originated in Mortlach, and was used as a general store for many years. It was later renovated to be used as a Masonic Hall; you can see a small replica of the Masonic Lodge at the back of the building. The Masonic Lodge was originated in Scotland by the stonemasons (people who worked with stone and masonry in the building trade). The group promotes brotherhood and morality, and its main purpose is to serve others. Groups from Central Butte, Riverhurst, Mortlach and Caron banded together to make one large Masonic Lodge. When the numbers dwindled sufficiently, the members joined the Moose Jaw Lodge and the remaining furnishings were donated to the museum in 1995. You will notice the raised platforms around the whole building (used for rows of chairs for certain officers of the Lodge) and the peephole in the door at the north side of the hall. At the front of the store there is a doctor/dentist's office and a hardware, clothing among other displays. You will note, also, the large advertising roll on the top of the west wall. It was set behind the movie screen in the theatre. When the movie was finished the screen would be raised and the advertising could be seen. The building was moved to the museum in 1975.
- Dryland Gazette PrintshopThis printing press was used to print the Gravelbourg newspaper, "The Star." The machine with all the keys is the type-setting machine. As each key is pressed, there is a little brass letter that is held against a pot of hot lead metal, then a pump injects the lead into the form that is the word or name. The lead is reused time after time. The machine on the west is a platen press - it was built in 1873. There is no motor - it was operated by a treadle. Most of the letterheads and business forms are made on this press. The wooden trays are full of hand-set type. Type was assembled into words on a stick and then put into the press. The presses still work .The shop was run for a few years by Larry Pion then for a few more years by Bert Kroeker.
- Harness and Boot Repair ShopThis shop was originally a garage on Main Street. The museum bought it for $20 and moved it here in 1971 where it became "The Harness Shop." When people used horses for transportation they needed to have harnesses made so the horses could be hitched to wagons, buggies and sleighs. Cowboys still need saddles for their horses. Long ago, saddles were made by harness-makers. The work in the shop was mostly done with leather (made from cowhide), so the harness-maker often doubled as a shoe-maker. In the shop you will see shoe lasts for fashioning boots and shoes there is also harness, collars, reins with various leather working tools.The large tub was filled with Neet's Foot Oil to soak the leather to make it soft enough to work with.
- Joe's Barber ShopThis barber shop started its life as a porch on a mobile home. The wooden barber chair was donated by Joe Rivett of Joe's Barber Shop in Moose Jaw. Many of the other items were donated by the barber shop in the Scott Building as newer instruments came to be used. You will Notice the scary-looking contraption in the back. This is a hair-perming machine. The woman's hair would be wrapped in the rods that hang from the machine, then an electrical current would pass through the rods, curling the hair by the heat. Look for the barber pole outside the shop. The red and white colours signify that long ago barbers were also surgeons - the red symbolizes blood and the white is symbolic of the bandages that the barber/surgeon would wrap around the patient's wound.
- Camlachie Hardware StoreThis was orginally Camlachie country school, located on land now owned by Baildon Hutterite colony. It was used as a community hall for several years after finishing its service as a school. It was moved to its present location in 1998.
- Service Station
3-Star Service StationThis was an actual garage on River Street in Moose Jaw. The truck is a 1929 Model AA Ford. The kerosene was used for coal oil lamps and stoves. The grey box on the left side of the truck is an oil dispenser. The attendant would fill a glass bottle with oil by turning the hand crank, then fill the oil reservoir in the motor. It was common to have dirt floors in garages; that way, when oil or gas was spilt, it seeped into the ground. (Now, environmental laws forbid such dumping of oil and gas except in certain areas.)
- Telephone and Post OfficeThis office was used in Rouleau, Sask. The wicket and boxes were from the Drinkwater post office. If you look at the boxes from behind you can still see many of the original residents' names. The telephone switchboard was the kind used by many small communities - the operator had to link the caller to the person he/she wanted to call by moving the wires from one location to another.
- Baildon Municipal Office LibraryThis entire building, the office supplies, chair and charts came from the Baildon Municipal Office, which was located several miles east of the museum. This office was replaced by a newer office on the northeast corner of the highway as you leave the museum roadand that building has since been sold and the RM office is now in the city of Moose Jaw.
- Radio ShopThis building was moved in and opened during the summer of 2004. Contents consist of radios from the antique broadcast era and old time communications radios.
- The Emporium(Toy, Music, Sewing Shops)Three shops in a row, converted in 1996 from granaries. The toy shop is the first one you see on the left the toys and games are homemade and very old, others are more recent. The middle shop is filled with music memorabilia most where donated from the Lion's Band Hall in 1996. Music played a very important role in the lives of people who didn't have televisions or other entertainments to enjoy. The third shop features sewing machines and materials.
- Sukanen Ship
- Sukanen Chapel and GraveThe body of Tom Sukanen was exhumed from its grave in North Battleford, then re-interred next to his beloved ship in 1976. The regulations at the time stated that, in order to do burials a piece of ground needed to be designated as a cemetery, and to do that, a church or chapel was to be on the same site.
- Fire Chief's House
- Fire Collections Building
- Baildon Settler's Cabin 1914It is baking day in this house! One family lived in this small cabin - imagine having no playroom, no separate bedrooms, no bathrooms, water or electric lights! Can you picture the young inhabitants of this house getting up on a cold winter morning - going out to the barn to do chores, riding a horse to school, coming home to do chores, then reading and studying by candlelight until bedtime.......
- 1906 William Grimshaw HomesteadThis home was built in 1906 just 8 miles north of Parkbeg, Sask. Mr. Grimsahw lived in this house as a bachelor until 1956 when he moved to Moose Jaw. Imagine living in this tiny room by yourself for 50 years! The house is furnished with its original stove, bed and trunk, complete with Willie's collection of cards, letters and legal papers. The picture hanging on the wall is Willie Grimshaw himself. There is a story that Willie used to move his stove close to the bed in the wintertime so that he could put more wood in the stove without getting out of bed.
- Carriage HouseThis building was a horse barn and blacksmith shop on Sawfield's farm, which is about 20 miles west of the museum,in the Caron district. This building came to the museum in about 1975 donated to us by Bob Willhoff and moved to the museum by Ray Butz. storage in the eastern portion for wagons while in the western portion of the shed you will see buggies.
- Appliance Store
- Pumphouse and Creamery
Jones/Garner Pumphouse and CreameryThe building was donated by Hartford Garner, and many of the contents by Erald Jones. Many of the machines are cream separators; the milk fresh from the cows was poured in, then the cream was separated from the skim milk. The cream was sold to dairies where butter and cheese were made. At the train station, you can see the small cream cans waiting to be taken on the train to the city dairy. The red barrel is a honey extractor; you put the honey combs in the sides, turn the crank, and wait for the honey to fly out by centrifugal force. The wooden boxes are chick incubators; the eggs could be kept warm until the chicks hatched. In the northwest corner is a salesman's model of an automatic stooking machine. This never caught on because combines, which didn't require stooks, were coming into being at the same time.
- Stationary Engine Display
- 1886 Dalrymple HomesteadBuilt in 1886 on the Dalrymple farm located at Archydale, Sask., it was the first house built in the Moose Jaw area. It became the first stopping place for travellers heading northwest out of Moose Jaw. This family raised horses; you can see the many championship ribbons on the wall. Read the story of the Dalrymple family here as copied from the posting just inside the door:
The Achydal Homestead.
In the summer of 1882, Archie Dalrymple left his home in Hensall, Ontario at the age of twenty-two. His plans were to head west. At Brandon, he met the Getty Brothers, Sam and George, who had left their home in Seaforth, Ontario in the previous spring; they became travelling partners. Setting out on their expedition further west, the men equipped themselves with an axe, one muzzle loading shotgun and some hardtack.
After considerable exploration, this land didn't seem to suit agriculture well and the men headed back towards Brandon; where they found jobs on the CPR for two dollars a day and later on, a threshing crew in the fall for a considerable boost in pay, two dollars a day plus board. After harvest, the men bought a tent, some tin dishes and a sheet iron stove. They had dedided to ride the rail as far as it would take them, straight into Regina. From Regina, they managed to hitch a ride to Moose Jaw where they spent the winter.
The men had finally found some good land North and West of Moose Jaw and in the spring of 1883, Archie Dalrymple and Sam Getty had chosen two adjoining quarters. They purchased oxen and other equipment and lived in the tent while waiting for the lumber they had ordered for the shanty. After the lumber arrived out of Regina, the two built their shanty on the divide line between the two quarters. This shanty served both as a residence where they received mail and supplies at Caron and water from Boharm.
Unfortunately, Archie and Sam could only afford enough equipment for one, so they took turns, while one worked the land the other worked on the rail. They managed to successfully break about fifteen acres a year.
In 1886, theis residence of 12x16 feet was built at the cost of one hundred dollars. In 1887, Archie married Catherine Getty and they continued to live in this house until 1903. By this time, the family had grown to include four children and the shanty could no longer accommodate. So in 1903, the family moved into the large brick house that is still in use on the farm today.
In 1905, Archie and Catherine had a son, William, who took over the farm in 1935 after Archie's death in 1933. In 1974, William, and his wife Lil, sold the farm to their son Grant, and wife Judy. The town site of Archydal is located about 1/2 mile from their home an is named for Archie Dalrymple.
- 1960 CPR Caboose
- 1911 Baildon Railway StationThe station was originally built for Canadian National Railways at Baildon, Saskatchewan in 1911. The station features fully furnished living quarters on both the main and second floors that are true to the era. The Station Master's area of the ticket office and freight shed and the passenger waiting room are original. Within the Station are the original schedule books, tickets, train log books, locomotive repair books, lanterns and travel posters. Note the 1886 original wooden train step. The small cart on the tracks is called a 'jigger' or 'speeder.' It was used by railway workers to travel along the tracks for maintenance checks. It was donated to the museum in 1965, and installed on the track in the 1970's.
- 1909 Farm HouseDonated to us from the Parkbeg area, this house has been fully refurbished inside - it is surrounded by an entire farmstead with a barn, grainery, flower beds, a garage and swing set. Because wood was scarce in Saskatchewan in 1909 (especially the amount needed for a structure of this size), the lumber had to be sent from the east by rail, then by horse and wagon the 50 miles from Moose Jaw to Parkbeg. This display was used in the movie of Tom called SISU
- Gypsy Wagon
- Stave Lock Granary
- 1893 Glover Ranch HouseThis house was the 100,000 house in Sask to receive power. Moved to us from the Baildon area
- Threshing Crew Cook CarThis cook car, also donated by Monk Johnson of Limerick Sask. This is where threshing crews ate their meals while in the filed in harvest.
- Threshing Crew BunkhouseDonated by Monk Johnson, this bunk car was built at the turn of the century and was used till the 1930's. In the time of horses and wagons, it took many people to harvest the grain. These people were called 'threshing crews' because their job was to 'thresh' or separate the grain from the stalks. They travelled from one farmer's land to another, harvesting all day long, then sleeping in the cozy bunk car at night.
- Machine Shed
- Mawer ElevatorThe Sukanen Ship and Pioneer Village Museum has moved in a Warner ,Victoria,McCabe's grain Elevator built in 1913 This elevator was about 60 miles away in the Mawer hamlet site. Approx. 68 feet tall.
- Machinery Storage - DO NOT ENTER
- 1906 Diefenbaker HomesteadThis is the orginal homestead that was moved from Borden to Regina and sat in Wascana park for many years.
- Bee Keeper's Workshop - DO NOT DISTURB HONEY BEES
- Hergott HouseThis house was brought in in 2005 and set down beside the church. We moved it in from the Assiniboia area cleaned up and had displayable for the 2005 bee. This building is was restored and is being maintained by our friends/members of Heritage Moose Jaw.
- 1928 Blacksmith Shop
- Tractor & Car Shed1530 McCormick Deering circa 1928 Case Model L circa 1929 on rubber Case Model LA 1942 on steel McCormick Model H circa 1940 McCormick Model M circa 1940 Massey 101 circa1946 1902 Case Steamer
- Replica IHC DealershipThis building was built and donated to the museum by Mr. Bill Young.
- John Deere Building
- Storage - DO NOT ENTER
- Canvas BuildingCanvas Building-Winter/Horsedrawn Tansportation-Antiques & Garage Sale items available for purchase by donation
- Founders' Garage
- Truck Building
- IHC Tractor Building
- Allis Chalmers/Case BuildingThis is Bill Young's collection of small tractors and machines that replaced horses on the farm in the 1930's and 40'. There is even a small combine.